Silverfish have been crawling on earth for millions of years and have never developed any wings, instead, they move in extremely high speed to compensate for their lack of aero mobility. Having problems with silverfish? We, silverfish exterminators in Napa have researched extensively on silverfish thus coming up with the best solutions for silverfish infestations. Call us on (800) 430-3778 and you can count on us to get rid of these ancient insects.
Silverfish are grey or silver in color and they measure up to 12-20 mm in length. Their bodies wiggle as they run and this resembles the motion of a swimming fish hence their name. Silverfish shed their skin leaving behind metal looking silver scales. They dwell in moist, humid areas and have plenty of food sources. They require protein, sugars, and starch which can be found in newspapers, books and fabrics. Silverfish can live up to 3-8 years which is a relatively long lifespan for an insect.
Signs of Silverfish Infestation
- Spotting a silverfish
- Spotting their feeding remnants
- Presence of silverfish cast skin
- Tiny pepper like defecation
- Scratch marks on old photos
This is How We Get Rid of Silverfish
- Boric Acid – We use boric acid as it has low toxic levels and it gets the job done easily. We use Dekko Silverfish Paks among other boric acid products to eradicate the silverfish.
- Using Pyrethrin-This is a chemical pesticide extracted from the seeds of the pyrethrum plant. It is biodegradable and is less harsh as compared to other chemical silverfish killers. We spray the Pyrethrin on crevices and areas where the silverfish are most active.
Call us on (800) 430-3778 and let the pros handle any chemical treatment.
Non – chemical
- Diatomaceous earth- It is a dust like a product that contains crushed fossilized diatom remains. The silverfish ingests this dust where it deters with their cuticle leading to dehydration. The good thing about it is the simple fact of its non – chemical nature which means the insects cannot build up immunity.
Natural solutions are preferable since they leave no residuals, unlike chemical treatment methods. We prefer the green option.
- Jar Traps – These are easy to make and use. We make this traps by covering the outside of the glass jar with masking tape and put something starchy inside the jar. The silverfish can crawl in but cannot crawl out.
- Dehumidifying – Silverfish thrive in excess moisture found in the air. This also involves eliminating sources of excessive moisture like mending leaking pipes and eliminating standing water.
- Regularly vacuuming cracks and crevices helps us remove the silverfish physically from their habitats.
- Newspaper Method – We roll up an old newspaper and use it to trap these silverfish. We close each end of the newspaper and moisten the newspaper. This wet newspaper provides the silverfish with food that they can’t possibly resist. We place the newspapers at night and dispose of them in the morning.
- Removing silverfish food sources deprives the silverfish of their much-needed nutrients thus food sources should be removed or enclosed in containers.
You need not inconvenience yourself by living with these destructive pests. They can chew on your best suits, important documents or on your wedding photos. That could be tragic. Fear no more, we have the solution. Call us, silverfish exterminators Napa, (800) 430-3778 you’ll get to keep your books, photos and documents in perfect condition. Contact us for your free quote.